All Rwandans to live on 15% of National Land, with only two residential villages per cell

The Ministry of Environment has announced that Rwanda’s revised National Land Use Master Plan designates just 15% of the country’s total surface area for residential settlement. Under the new framework, each administrative cell will be limited to no more than two designated residential villages.

The decision has sparked concern across the country, particularly among young people seeking to establish their own households. Many say they are not being shown where they can legally build within the newly designated settlement sites. Even when such locations are identified, they argue that the cost of purchasing plots and constructing houses that meet required standards is beyond their means.

On February 17, 2026, the Minister of Environment, Dr. Bernadette Arakwiye, appeared before the Chamber of Deputies to address issues raised by citizens during parliamentary outreach visits conducted late last year. Lawmakers reported widespread complaints from residents who have been barred from constructing homes on their own land because it has been zoned exclusively for agriculture under the updated master plan.

Dr. Arakwiye explained that the new policy prohibits scattered construction and instead requires relocation to officially approved residential sites, which together account for no more than 15% of Rwanda’s land area.

“The master plan allocates 15.2% of the national territory for residential use, distributed across 3,000 sites, down from approximately 14,000 settlement clusters previously,” she said. “This means that some citizens will remain on land designated for agriculture. They may continue living there, but no new structures will be permitted.” She added that even basic renovations—such as installing an iron sheet on an existing house—require authorisation from district authorities or other competent institutions.

According to the Minister, the reduction in the number of villages is intended to free up sufficient land for agriculture, forestry, and environmental protection. Each cell has been allocated two residential villages, while residents living outside these areas are expected to relocate to approved settlement sites.

The policy comes amid growing discontent, especially among young adults who still live with their parents but aspire to build independent homes. Across several districts, residents complain that they are prohibited from building on their own property.

In 2025, a young man from Kinihira Sector in Rulindo District publicly challenged the district’s Vice Mayor in charge of Social Affairs. “As young men living in Rugombo village, we have suitable land to build on,” he said. “What surprises us is being told we cannot construct there, yet that is where our plots are. We have nowhere else to go.” He was interrupted before finishing his remarks.

The Vice Mayor responded that no official residential site had been designated for that village and that cell-level authorities would direct residents to approved settlement areas, as endorsed by the Cabinet chaired by the President of the Republic.

Parents have also voiced frustration, saying they are not allowed to renovate their homes and are denied access to infrastructure such as water, electricity, and roads because their areas are classified for agriculture or forestry.

MP Germaine Mukabalisa raised similar concerns in Parliament, noting that young couples ready to marry are being directed to settlement areas without basic infrastructure, only to later find they are not permitted to live there. With no viable rental alternatives, many newlyweds end up staying with parents—often leading to domestic tensions.

“They get married and move in with their fathers, which creates household conflicts that were not there before,” she said.

In response, Dr. Arakwiye told Parliament that the Government has instructed districts to fast-track detailed settlement planning and guide citizens toward designated residential sites.

However, lawmakers argued that this solution may not materialize quickly. They pointed out that only one firm has been contracted to prepare settlement plans nationwide, potentially delaying implementation. Moreover, even if new residential sites are identified, many citizens lack the financial capacity to purchase plots, which are often priced beyond their reach.

  • Related Posts

    The poisonous frog toxin allegedly linked to Navalny’s death

    Several European countries, including the United Kingdom, claim that Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny was killed using a rare and highly potent toxin derived from the skin of a small…

    Read more

    What was the aim of the MONUSCO chief’s visit to Goma?

    The Acting Deputy Head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, MONUSCO, Vivian van de Perre, confirmed that Goma International Airport has reopened after more…

    Read more

    Leave a Reply

    You Missed

    The poisonous frog toxin allegedly linked to Navalny’s death

    The poisonous frog toxin allegedly linked to Navalny’s death

    All Rwandans to live on 15% of National Land, with only two residential villages per cell

    All Rwandans to live on 15% of National Land, with only two residential villages per cell

    What was the aim of the MONUSCO chief’s visit to Goma?

    What was the aim of the MONUSCO chief’s visit to Goma?

    Rwanda’s National Budget Reduced by Rwf 80.4 Billion

    Rwanda’s National Budget Reduced by Rwf 80.4 Billion

    Rwanda climbs two places globally in fight against corruption

    Rwanda climbs two places globally in fight against corruption

    Police monitor drain for five days as suspected thieves attempt to evade arrest

    Police monitor drain for five days as suspected thieves attempt to evade arrest